Monday, May 19, 2008

The Grouch Interview - Issue 58

So how's the tour going?

Right now I'm on the Living Legends Spring Tour. We're five shows deep and they've all been sold out. We play the South By Southwest Music Conference tonight. I think our fans are really excited about the new Legends EP "The Gathering" as well as my album.

Your new record 'Show You The World' drops May 20th... Well polished and cohesive from start to finish the album is one of my favorites of yours to date... How do you feel it compares to your previous solo releases?

Thank you, I'd have to agree with you. I think it's probably my best solo work this far but it's different form the others. I know more now. But I'd say F*ck The Dumb is more raw. The rhyme patterns on this one are definitely put together better. It's hard to say though. It's like asking a mother who her favorite child is.

Your daughter gets to open up the starting track to 'Show You The World'... How much of a part did fatherhood have to do with this album?

My daughter inspires me to be a better person. Sometimes I might go to write some stupid shit and think, how could I explain that to her? I also think that just being around her helps me to be a more creative person. I used her on the cover and on the intro but the album is not really about Rio. It's not a concept album. I did record a couple of verses with her asleep on my shoulder!

Do you see a difference in the CA hip hop scene since you first became a 'Legend'? Do you feel there any issues holding the scene back?

There are differences but I'm not worried about "the scene". There are a lot more avenues out there now to get yourself heard than before. As a man with many responsibilities, all I can do is concentrate on doing what I do as well as I can. The bottom line is that if your material is dope then people are going to like it.

Are there any plans for another collaboration with Zion I? or anyone else?

Definitely, we haven't officially started yet but another Zion I and The Grouch album is in the works for sure. Eligh and I are almost finished with a new one. Daddy Kev and I need to talk about some new stuff. I've got a few other ideas...

Ok...so I have to ask...what is hyphy? Why did it almost become a mainstream disaster?

I'm not an authority on what hyphy is. What I like most about what I think it is is the music. I'm a music lover. Fashion and partying and anything else is secondary to me.
I like the stripped down uptempo 808 tracks with bay area rappers over them. The biggest disaster as far as hyphy goes to me has to be the death of Mac Dre.

Since you're basically at the heart of the West Coast scene right now, where do you think it's headed? Are there any new groups coming out right now that you're diggin'?

There is always good music to be found out there, I'm feeling a lot of Edit's stuff and a group called Brother Reade. My boy Marty James and One Block Radius, Gaslamp Killer and Gonjasufi are ridiculous with it (my folks holler if you see this!)

No comments: