Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Few Words With JoJo Simmons' Team Blackout - Issue 61

With a legend like Rev Run as your dad, is there any pressure on you to come correct with your lyrics?

JoJo: Of course! It’s cause he’s the King! So now I’ve got to take the throne and make the throne bigger, you know what I’m sayin’? I’ve got to make the name bigger. I’m not afraid. I’m stepping up to the plate and I’m ready to do it.

What’s it like having Rev Run as an Executive Producer? Was he hard on you guys? Who else worked on the production for the album?

JoJo:
Basically, he approv
es and denies the songs for the album, so it wasn’t like a hard thing or whatever, it’s basically in the end whatever he says goes.

Zack: On the album, we worked with Rockwilder and his production team, and we also work with Ron Brown from “J5 on ‘em”.

What new flavor do you feel Team Blackout brings to Hip Hop?

Zack: I think Team Blackout’s gonna’ bring that delicious flavor of fun. We’re gonna’ be bringin’ back the fun into the hip hop and we’re really focusing on the lyrics…you know, we’re still stepping up lyrically, but we’re having fun with it…makin’ records for the girls, for the clubs, the dudes to bump in their whip…we’ve got somethin’ for everybody!

What makes your group stand out above the rest of the acts out there?

Zack: Well, there’s not too many groups out there any more…there’s a lot of solo artists, so as far as hip hop is concerned, but no groups. We’re one of the new groups…something new to see.

What are your intentions with the LP? Is it more than just a straight party album?

Zack:
I mean…we have a lot of fun with it. There’s a lot of party tracks on it, but you know, we’ve got some songs that are for the girls…like. We’ve got this song “Gotta Have Her” which is gonna’ be the second single on the album and basically the song is about how the girl looks so good that you just gotta’ have her…you know, we’ve just got different concepts on the album…

How does one ‘J5 on the Beat’ exactly and where’d the dance come from?

Benji:
Well, the beat came from Ron Brown’s producing. It just came out of nowhere. Everybody was textin’ us on the Myspace sayin’ that they wanted to hear a J5 song since they’d seen me do the J5 in the pool (on VH1’s Run’s House). We just put it out there for the people to enjoy it. It’s not going to be an official single, but we have a buzz track out right now called “Lights Down Low” so you should check it out…

JoJo: Tell ‘em how you came up with it…

Benji: Oh yeah, yeah… It was crazy. Jo was actually doing a Run’s House scene and me and
Zack were just chillin’…We had nothing to do so we just did the dance out of nowhere and it’s crazy cause JoJo’s dad saw me doin’ it and then in the studio he called me out and said ‘hey, I’ve seen you do your dance…’ Then he said I’ve got to do it in the pool, so just did it for them.
But before that, I would show Zack & JoJo my dance first and we were just laughin’ and buggin’ at it…we weren’t even takin’ it seriously, we were just doin’ it for the fun of it, out of nowhere. It’s crazy how the littlest things come out, though…

Who are some of your favorite acts out there right now?

JoJo: Um, definitely, my favorite rapper is Fabolous and I’m definitely feelin’ Lil’ Wayne right now…Jay Z…I’m a big Dipset fan – that whole crew…those are my influences right there.

Zack: My major influences right now I would say, would be Nas, I’m feelin’ Lil’ Wayne a lot, I’m likin’ The Cardiff Three…JaRule. I’m a big fan of JaRule…he was one of the first artists I was listening to when I was young. Also, Jay Z and Kanye West…

Benji: Nas, 50, Lil’ Wayne’s doin’ his thing right now, he’s killin’ it, as you can see…

What are your plans once the album’s released? Any tour plans?

JoJo: I mean, if the song blows up, then yeah, we’re out there.

Zack: We’ve also got the K1X promotional tour comin’ -

JoJo: - yeah, yeah…

Zack: It’s this new clothing line, K1X, that we’ve got an endorsement with…we’re about to be doin’ a 12 city tour with them goin’ all around the world to Foot Lockers promoting the clothing line and sneakers. It’s crazy…definitely a blessing…

No comments: